Shortly after 9-11, I remember my supervisor explaining to me the importance of intimate environment on humans. When there is a sudden change, it can be very difficult for some people to adjust. Especially when the change is linked to a traumatic event.
“First we shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us”
There’s a lot of research that indicates environment plays an integral role in the healing of the spirit, mind, and body. For the last few decades, health care facilities have played a big role in the research and implementation of healing, intimate environments.
With my PTSD diagnosis two years ago, I’ve become aware how important my intimate environment is to me. I moved out of the city, into the country, and have a garden in my front yard. This has been incredibly healing for me.
Although I’m moving back to the city soon, I am planning ahead for patio plants, indoor plants, acknowledging ‘space’ as a decor tool, renting community garden plots, etc. It all makes a big difference to me.
Here are some points to consider when planning your healing, intimate environment:
- Nature – When you look out your window, what do you see? Do you see plants, trees, the sky, a body of water, or something not quite so pleasant?
- Color – Every color has particular affects on the human existence, far more than we are consciously aware.
- Light – Humans need light. I suggest decorating with ‘light space’ in the forefront of your creative process.
- Security – Do you feel safe? Many times, our bodies do not feel safe and we are not consciously aware of this important factor in our environment. For instance, don’t arrange your living space so that you sit with your back to a door. That’s a big one for me.
- Wayfinding – Can you move easily from one place to another? Is there a natural flow to your living environment?
- Culture – Is your culture accepted or are there blatant or underlying silent suggestions that your culture is not honored?
Rejoice in your space and let it reflect who you are and what matters the most to you. Only you can make these intimate environment decisions for yourself.
Together we light the way