Sage has been used for thousands of years as a medium for spiritual cleansing of an area or place. It is said to bring about purification and cleansing of our life patterns, particularly those patterns that defeat oneself.
It is a fact that Sage contains antiseptic properties so that when you smudge, you’re truly, in every scientific sense, cleansing the air of unwanted bacteria in addition to the spiritual cleansing effect.
Here are some of the lovely facts about the use of Sage in your every day beautiful life:
- Draws out anxiety and decompresses you for release of negative energy
- Enhances memory and is used as an Alzheimer’s treatment
- Excellent source of vitamin K and a good source of vitamin A.
- Reduces the effects of exposure to toxins and narcotics
- Cleans wounds, surgical incisions, sores, and ulcers
- Regulates menstrual cycles and activates hormones like estrogen
- Assists in the metabolism of food
- Stimulates the brain, nervous system, liver and circulatory and excretory systems
Sage is in the same family of herbs with Rosemary and Peppermint which also contain flavonoids and phenolic acids*.
* “Flavonoids and phenolic acids also function as reducing agents, free radical scavengers, and quenchers of singlet oxygen formation. In addition, flavonoids and phenolic acids components play important roles in the control of cancer and other human diseases.”
Flavonoids and phenolic acids: Role and biochemical activity in plants and human (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266585165_Flavonoids_and_phenolic_acids_Role_and_biochemical_activity_in_plants_and_human [accessed Oct 12 2017].
Grow your own Sage
If you’d like to grow your own organic sage at home, you will be pleased to know that it is easy to grow.
Sage prefers direct sunlight and well-drained, average soil with a tolerance for dry-soil conditions. Wait until the soil is dry before you water your sage, once or twice per week.
Another nice way to reap the benefits of sage is through the use of Sage essential oil and aromatherapy.
For quick help during a time of negativity, mix 1 teaspoon of Sage essential oil with 1/4 cup olive oil and place in a small amber container. Use this mixture on your pulse points and center of your forehead to draw out anxiety and decompress.
Clary Sage is a biennial or perennial herb that grows up to six feet in height. Clary Sage is known for its calming properties and benefits to the skin.
The main chemical component of Clary Sage is linalyl acetate, part of the esters group, making it one of the most relaxing, soothing, and balancing essential oils.
In the Middle Ages, the Clary Sage plant was frequently used to soothe skin.
Inhaling Clary Sage promotes feelings of relaxation, allowing for a restful night’s sleep.
A stunning abalone shell is the perfect place to hold your sage before, during, and after smudging. Each hand-picked shell is at least 5 inches wide and polished on the inside to reveal swirling blue, green, and pink opalescent hues.
An elegant, hand-carved wooden tripod stand completes this value priced bundle of our most popular products.
This potent herb has been used for centuries by Native Americans in rituals of cleansing and healing. Many people continue this tradition today by holding their own sage smudging ceremonies. Burn white sage to clear energy and restore balance, for protection and spiritual purification.
Alternative Imagination California White Sage smudge sticks are grown and packaged in the United States.
If you identify with my experience(s), if you have a comment or questions – whatever – let me know. It is always so nice to hear from you in the comments below.
Together we light the way